Tuesday, May 23, 2006

O Trinity! O Unity!

This evening in Theology of Music class, I present my term-long project: Images of the Holy Trinity in Sacred Music. I'm pumped. We'll be listening to music of John Sheppard, Claudio Monteverdi, Charles Wood, Sergei Rachmaninof, G.F. Handel, and Sir John Stainer. It's amazing how skillfully these composers interweave one, two, then three lines together, ending in a sublime unison. The Stainer text and tune (from "I Saw the Lord") replay in my head day and night. This is great stuff:

O Trinity! O Unity! Be present as we worship thee,
And with the songs that angels sing
Unite the hymns of praise we bring.

I welcome all good thoughts for 6:30 tonight.

2 Comments:

Blogger Northland A said...

Sounds cool. I am looking foward to this.

6:05 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

LOL - while you were talking about images of the Trinity in sacred music, I was writing about the Trinity in hymnody of the Oxford Movement.

8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home