Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Worth waiting for

Last fall while meeting new students, sending them e-mail messages and snail mail invitations, I indicated my willingness to meet in the coffee house around the corner from our downtown church, thinking that the setting would be less formal and perhaps less intimidating than an office. Though we'd had lunch together in small groups, no one asked to meet privately for coffee, and I wondered if any of them would ever decide that talking with a university chaplain was something they'd want to do.

It's easy to lose sight of how long it takes to build trust. Of course, I'd wanted it right away, or certainly by late fall. Finally, yesterday, I met with a lively student at the coffee house. We talked about her educational and vocational plans, literature and scripture, art and texture, and what it means to be human. I had to be careful because, once or twice, I stepped out of the conversation as if watching a movie, thinking, "Is this great, rich conversation really happening?" and "I get paid for this joyful time?"

So, ten months into the job and eight months into the academic year, the pot is starting to bubble, and I am all but bouncing with gratitude.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home