Monday, February 14, 2011

Paying attention in church

Yesterday after our third Eucharist of the morning, an earnest young man shook my hand and said, "Thank you for the sermon, Reverend. I really enjoyed it." The problem? I wasn't the preacher! My colleague (male, half a foot taller, and with a speaking voice greatly different) preached, and was ahead of me in the greeting line. Still, he didn't get thanked for the sermon.

Normally, when someone tells me they really liked the sermon, I'll ask what in particular they liked. This time, I thought it best just to say thank you and not embarrass the poor guy.

1 Comments:

Blogger Trees of the Field said...

Perhaps the young man was like my grandfather, who would sleep through a speech and wake up at the applause to say "marvelous speaker."

12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home