Wednesday, November 07, 2012

O is for the ongoing eggs

This morning, as I walked in early morning light to serve breakfast at the Agape Cafe in Iowa City, a car pulled up along my path and parked.  Two men and a woman got out, joined me on the sidewalk, and asked, "Excuse me, Ma'am?  Do you know anything about that free breakfast they serve around here someplace?"

We were at that moment only two blocks from the Cafe.  I said, "I do know, and I help make the food.  I'll take you there myself."

The energetic young man said, hopping up into the air, "MAN!  I am soooo excited, I heard we could get breakfast and we get eggs and bacon and pancakes, all we want!  So I stayed up late and wrote a song about it, in the style of Kanye West!" 

So I asked if he would sing his song to me, and he did.  Here's how it started:

"T is for tea and toast and bacon
And B is for butter and jam and a big big plate
And O is for the ongoing eggs!"

There was more.  I can't remember all his words, but I remember his leaping into the air, eagerly following me down the street, and the funny way that God worked to bring the two of us together on this happy morning.

2 Comments:

Blogger Judith said...

Welcome, happy morning

12:41 PM  
Blogger Raisin said...

Yes, Judith -- I'm convinced that there is a song or hymn for every occasion.

11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home