Friday, March 15, 2013

No problem

Six is the number of times this week that I've received "No problem" in response to my having said "Thank you." Aside from feeling a bit obnoxious that I actually decided to count these exchanges, I'm curious about what seems to be a growing tendency to abandon a simple "You're welcome."

Most of these "No problem" responses took place in a coffee shop or restaurant.  When I met with local clergy a few days ago for a monthly luncheon, we were seated at a large, round table.  Our efficient waiter refilled water glasses and responded in these ways to our saying thanks:  "Sure," "Yep," and a nod of the head.  But when he reached me, he said "No problem." 

I wonder whatever happened to "You're welcome."  Those of you who read this blog probably know that I'm not enough into pop culture or television to know where other phrases that mystify me originated, either, such as "Just sayin'" and "I know, right?"

While I realize that basic acts of hospitality or just doing one's job might, in fact, be No Problem, I also confess to becoming grumpier by the month to think that we're losing track of those words that Miss Manners (shudder) no doubt included in her book of etiquette.  I wonder if, in these last six months before turning 60, grumpiness just might be perfectly all right.  Just sayin'.

1 Comments:

Blogger Trees of the Field said...

I know, right?

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home