Tuesday, January 22, 2008

God with us

This was a day when clearly I knew God was with me. Some days, there is no question. I was driving after a 5-inch new snowfall down the interstate to work, at what I thought was a safe speed, when I hit black ice. My trusty white Honda swerved and circled, and I have no further memory of anything till I crashed into a guard rail and landed in the median with blowing snow covering my windshield. I had no idea where I was, nor had badly I'd damaged myself or the car.

What I most remember thinking was how much my chest hurt. Then I got out of the car, calmly called John on my cell, described where I was from locating an exit sign, then called my church.

Within ten minutes or less, a fire truck and state patrol came and were just wonderful when I blanked out while answering their questions; they took me to a safe place where I met up with John, who a bit later transported me to the emergency room near home.

Good news: nothing is broken. No one else was hurt. Not so good news: how could my chest hurt so much when nothing is broken? The car really is damaged, maybe can be fixed but maybe not. How did I walk away from this accident? The ER doc said, "God was watching over you, that's for sure." And I know, and firmly believe, that God was there with me, helping me out of the car, and maybe rolling eyes when I wanted to offer pastoral care to a young man in much pain in the ER waiting room.

Please be careful out there. And wish me success in not seeing the crash over and over every time I shut my eyes. So far, I think that will take some time.

5 Comments:

Blogger Heidi Haverkamp said...

Take care, Raisin. I hope you feel better soon, and yes, I imagine it will take a while for the crash not to be in front of your eyes. Those experiences don't go away quick. God with you, indeed.

6:06 PM  
Blogger Susie/Nueva Cantora said...

Oh, Raisin, thats so scary.

I spun my car out on the highway on my way to my psych exam for postulancy. I've never shaken the feeling of how much God must've been protecting me that day - but the whole "watching the road spin in slow motion" thing has definitely faded. Take care of yourself, and you'll be okay.

3:49 PM  
Blogger Rev. Jane Austen said...

I had a similar experience years ago when I was on the I-74 bridge going from Davenport to Moline. I have never understood where all of the other cars, usually there as you well know, were for those few moments. The spinning does go away but it takes a bit. Get some rest and let John and Maggie care for you. Bruises can take a long time to heal. Hugs and tea. . .

6:00 PM  
Blogger Merely Human said...

I hope you are recovering well and that the spinning stops soon. I'm so thankful you're okay, though I imagine the bruises and aches will be with you for some time. Sending healing thoughts and gentle hugs and lots of love.

8:10 PM  
Blogger Lora Messer said...

Raisin,

How are you doing? I hope you are feeling better. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Many blessings...

Lora

10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home