Thursday, May 29, 2008

I am not Eliza Doolittle

Eliza, in My Fair Lady, sings "Words, words, words, I'm so sick of words!" It's a great song, but I don't share Eliza's feelings. I love words. And my love of words makes me a lousy Scrabble player.

My favorite moment in Scrabble was when it was my turn to begin a game; I realized I had exactly the right letters -- using all 7 tiles at once -- for the word HEAVENS. I'm always set on placing tiles so that they form unusual or fun words, and I've never cared to see if these words will advance my score. (At our house, we don't even play for points; we just create words that are meaningful or melodious.) So, I am not a competitive Scrabulous player -- it is only during the most recent game that I thought maybe I should look up what the pink, red, and blue squares signify, because I sure didn't remember. Maybe that makes me a dork, but I love good words too much to care much about their numerical values.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home