Monday, August 25, 2008

How lovely to see you

After church, in the long line leading into the narthex, this is what I see: the Blurry People of God. While this isn't true of everyone, at least half the congregation gets so close to my face that I need to back away (gracefully, I hope) or else I'm looking at blurred facial expressions to which I really should pay attention.

So, I've taken to doing church without my bifocals, which then allows me to cope with those who get "in my face" and for whom it's important to touch or squeeze (ouch!) my arm when expressing an opinion or telling a story.

Thus far, the only problem with going without glasses is not reading any fine print in the bulletin, or some verses of hymns.

Yesterday, the last newcomer to get "in my face" had extraordinarily delicate, pretty eyeglass frames, which I noticed only because I'd taken mine off. I kept noticing her eyes. Then she said that she's an ophthamologist. Maybe I should consult her about the blurry people problem.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home